Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Regular Arrears Supplement (RAS)
October 5, 2021
The State HEAP Regular Arrears Supplement is a one-time benefit funded with the HEAP appropriation received under the federal American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. This benefit is being made available to help pay gas and/or electricity utility arrears and will be available from September 22, 2021 through September 30, 2022 or until funding is exhausted, whichever occurs first. The application for this benefit will be released shortly.
RAS benefits are a Regular HEAP supplement available to assist HEAP eligible households who have electricity and/or gas account arrears. The one-time benefit is based on the actual amount of current utility arrears, up to a maximum of $10,000 per applicant household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s gas and/or electric utility vendor(s), and only one RAS benefit per current electricity and/or gas account is permitted.
Households may be eligible if:
· Heat is natural gas or electricity
· Income is at or below the current income guidelines as posted in this table or the applicant receives Family Assistance, Safety Net Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) or Code A Supplemental Security Income,
· All of the eligibility criteria to receive a Regular HEAP benefit in the current program year has been met,
· The applicant must be the customer of record for the electricity and/or gas account(s), or must document that they pay the utility vendor(s) directly for the bill(s)
· The vendor is paid directly for gas and/or electricity usage, and
· The current gas and/or electricity account(s) is/are in active collection, or otherwise facing disconnection or termination due to unpaid arrears.
Note that there is no resource test for the RAS benefit and that arrears for domestic electricity do not have to be heat related.
Additional information on how to apply will be provided as soon as it is available.